Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back in Umbertide

We arrived in Italy on Thursday and it has been a bit of a whirlwind since.  We have been blessed with beautiful weather, temperature in the 70's and no rain to speak of.  Rome is eternally beautiful and frustrating.  Too large to put my arms around but every little district greets me like an old friend welcoming me home. The hustle and bustle is like New York without the organized grid and behavior of Americans.

Our good friends Ben and Barbara are with us.  We grew up in business together in the world of Apple Computer.  For years we would dissect our time there, commenting on this or that leader's foibles, but with time our experience there sunk into a true background of life experiences and now we just enjoy spending time.  They have been to Italy before spending one month in an apartment in Venice, so they were prepared for the ups and downs of Italian life.


Our Italian friend Simone met us with our car at the train station in Foligno and drove us into town. It is so wonderful for us to return.  People say "Benritornati" which means welcome back.  I realize I hardly ever here that in the US.  Usually we say "Where have you been?  I haven't seen you in a while."  A different mind set.

Umbertide at night is a special treat.
Speaking of treats, summer is the time for gelato.


If I keep eating like this, I will really blend in with the older Italian block women!

No comments:

Post a Comment